Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Lion Roars- Apple's Operating System Makes Sense

Although it has only been a little over 24 hours since I downloaded and began using the new Mac OSX Lion operating system, I can already tell a difference my computer use- even though it has been and will be a learning experience. There are 4 or 5 features which people will appreciate very much right from the outset.

It took a few minutes to get used to the new finger swipes, pinches, gestures and etc. but they are helpful and you are even more productive using them. (ironically the only thing that didn't speak to me was the first thing you see on the screen- a picture showing how your screen will now move the same way your two fingers scroll up and down. I actually found it too confusing from how I was used to scrolling so I went into system preferences and changed the scrolling feature back to the previous setting.)

I really like how you can create multiple desktops and swipe (with the three fingers to the right or left) back and forth to toggle or switch desktops. Now I can have a desktop for work, a desktop for play, a desktop for school, etc. Think about it. It just makes sense. You stay so much more organized this way.

With Launchpad you can view all of your apps at once on the screen and you can have multiple pages depending on how many apps you have. Someone tweeted this morning they never realized they had 7 pages or close to 300 apps until they viewed them all in Launchpad!

I also like mission control, a feature which lets you visualize every single application running on your laptop at once. Your computer will run faster when you know what you need open and what you can close. There are literally hundreds of other features and one could elaborate for hours on why this operating system is fabulous but you can follow the above embedded links to see/read for yourself. I know that change is difficult, especially if you have been using the same technology the same way for years- that being said, if you like being productive and using a platform that is intuitive than Apple's new operating system just makes sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment